Monday, March 17, 2014

Day 49: Eureka to Orick, Ca

Hey everyone!

Well that morning took my time I decided to do a load of laundry and use the wifi so by the time I got ready it was 1pm so I then hit the road. It was mostly hwy riding for the first 5 miles then once I got to the town of Arcata,Ca I got off the the hwy and made my way to some nice quiet country riding!
I eventually got to the Hammond trail whare I got to cross a sceneic bridge and ride on the path with no traffic!
                        Part way into the trail I got back on the coast for some nice scenery!
It seemed I was making good time I passed Humbolt Lagoons State Park I could of stopped but decided to keep going but soon after I ran into some more hills and slowed way down and it started to get dark.  I then realized I should of stopped at that other state park when I had the chance but at this point It wasn't worth going back so I rode on into the night! I looked at several state parks on the way to Parie creek redwoods state park none of the had camping I did pass a RV park a bit south of Orick, Ca but it had no cyclist rate and it was 25$/night so I move on. I eventually made it to Orick, Ca after some more hill climbs whare I stopped for a quick break I then went the last 5 miles with a few more hills and turned off 101 onto Newton B. Drury Pkwy. Since it wasn't a main road there were no street lights and I was surrounded by redwoods so it blocked out the moon and it got really dark down this road.  Well after about a mile I finally made my way to Pairie Creek Redwoods State Park and got set up for the night it was a battle with all the pouring rain but I eventually got set up and got to bed.  Here's a shot of the hiker/Biker area. 
Well that's all for this chapter thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog, I just ran into it for the first time. It looks like a lot of rain and wet riding. Beautiful area though. I wanted to ask about the bag you have on the rack, Is that a regular backpack or what kind of a bag is it and how is it attached to the rack/seat? I'm wearing a backpack with my folding bike and I would love to figure out another option!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ben well it was nice for the first 20 days of my trip then the rain hit after that. As for the bag its a 80 liter Kelty hikers backpack and to attach it to the Brompton I cut a 12 inch wooden dowel like the ones you would use for a closet and for the bottom I wrapped all the tent poles and my folding chair in a tarp and attached it to the bottom of the pack then used the straps on rack to strap it down heres a video on how to do it! http://youtu.be/4c76T3g5wwY best of luck to you on your adventures!

      Delete