Thursday, February 27, 2014

Day 46 Mendicino to Benbow, Ca

Hey everyone!

Well that morning I got up early I had a Warmshowers host in Benbow,Ca I was staying with.  After mapping it out last night I realized this would be the most strenuous day of my trip so far! It was gonna be a 80 mile day with over 3000 ft. of elevation with about 1900 ft. of it occurring in 10 miles! Back when I climbed the mountains heading west to San Diego,Ca it was more elevation but I didn't go 80 miles in one day either! 
So I got up at about 630am and got everything put away and planned on heading out at 730am but right before leaving I realized my front breaks were out of adjustment so by the time I got done fiddling with that it was past 8 but after that I hit the road. 
I stopped in Fort Bragg,Ca about 10 miles in to get some supplies and there was also a seized o-ring on my camp stove I needed to fix cause it was leaking fuel when I used it.  So I stopped into napa auto parts and brought the stove in and eventually found the right size with their help. I also at the last minute realized I should get some more tubing to patch my tent in case my pole breaks again since I used it in Boldega bay,Ca. So I went back to the hardware store and got some  brass tubing that should serve the same purpose.
Well after all that it was getting later so I pedaled on out. The route takes you off hwy 1 at this point to a sceneic bike path! Whare I got some nice costal scenery!
The path was a little sandy on some parts.
I eventually go to a point whare the trail had a break in it!
While I was looking at the dead end before I came to a stop my front tire fell into a crack in the trail!
Upon inspection It didn't bend the rim luckily but it did put some scratches on it and it tore the side of my tire but not all the way through so to to repair the rim I got out the sand paper from my patch kit to sand the metal burrs and flatten it out so the break pad wouldn't rub on it and for the tire I used the rubber cement from the repair kit to glue the tear back together so it wouldn't spread and tear more later.
Well after that I hit the road again since I still had a long day ahead of me and I got  some more nice sceneic views!

Well after a bit the road headed inland and saw the sign to indicate the big hill climb.  So I put it in a low gear and got into climbing mode!
After several hours of mostly all climbing with a few flats and downhills I saw this sign that indicated I made it to the top! 
Well now I started screaming downhill at over 30 mph! And before I knew it I made it to Leggett,Ca.  I saw a sign for the Chandler Drive thru tree 1/4 mile off route so I stopped in! I just remembered several years back I came here with my girlfriend at the time Liz and we drove through it on our way back from a roadtrip to San Fransisco well now I got to bike through it!
        Here's a shot of the gift shop.
   There were a few other exhibits as well.
Well I headed back to town and got on hwy 101 for the first time!
I got some great forest scenery shots !
Here was the believe it or not tree House
I also stopped to check out Confusion hill but all the exhibits I saw on the road were closed being winter.
Well after dark and at about 7pm I made my way to Benbow, Ca and stopped at the Benbow Inn to take a break and call Warmshower hosts Sam and Shirly.
They told me it was a 2 mile 1500ft climb from hwy 101 so they always shuttle guests to and from their house and seeing the terrain from the car I could see why! Well after we arrived they showed me to my room downstairs through a secret door!
Well after I got setteled in they made me dinner and we watched a movie then chatted for a bit Sam and Shirly had moved all over and ran several different businesses and they uset to go on motorcycle trips! Well by the time we were done talking it was past midnight so I headed to bed what a day! I just biked my longest day today and had several delays/problems! Well that's it for this chapter thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. Wow...you are hard-core my friend, to pull 80 miles in a single day with mostly incline...no wonder your quads are almost the width of those giant redwood tree trunks!

    ReplyDelete