Monday, January 27, 2014

Day 11 San Diego to Carlbab, CA

Hey everyone!

Well before saying goodbye to Tamara that morning I decided to weigh my gear on the scale and made a crazy discovery I thought I was biking with 60-70 lbs. but found out my front bag weighed 33 lbs and my rear backpack weighed a whopping 48 lbs! lol so that means with the weight of the bike which is 26 lbs that I'm pedaling a 107 lb bike lol!

Well after that it was getting later in the day so I headed out and to speed things up a little decided to take the Trolley over to the coast by Mission Bay where I met up with Jason a friend of Ryan's that was also a fan/owner of the Brompton! He took me out for tacos and showed me the local Brompton bike shop where they were astonished to see what I was doing with this little wheeled bike!
Well after that Jason took me for a ride around mission bay then we parted ways near the coast.
Well by this time it was 2 pm lol! So off I went to I still had about 40 miles to Carlsbab, Ca once I got started up the coast I got on the bike path that was right on the beach and with all the people around I had to go slow but that was perfect cause the views were unbelievable and having my bike was just the perfect way to see it Here's a few shots!
Well after that the bike path ended and I was back on the road so I started speeding up but not too long after I hit Torrey pines Rd. which was pretty hilly but after climbing hills for awile I then got a big down hill with a amazing scenic view into Del Mar, Ca about half way to Carlsbad, Ca 

After that it was pretty flat mostly with some rolling terrain and it by the time I got to Carlsbab it was getting pretty dark I then pulled out the map and found my way to Warmshowers host Gary that I am gonna stay with tonight. It was a pretty warm welcome he let me bring my bike right in and cracked open a few beers and showed me where I would sleep. 

Then we chatted for a long while and had some beers he also made me some chicken soup and I showed him some great biking to do in Washington state the time flew by and before long it was almost 930 pm and Gary headed for bed but before he did I needed to do some maintenance work on my bike so Gary said I could use his garage when I rolled it into the garage I gave the bike a once over and discovered the back tire was very bald from there being more weight on the rear probably the combination of the 48 lb bag and my saddle weight vs the just 33 lb on the front also there was some very rough roads that I biked on through the Arizona desert here is a pic to show you how bald it was! 

 So I decided I would also rotate the tires as well to get more life out of the rear tire. So after that I got the bike in the stand on his worktable.

It took about 1 1/2 hours by the time I rotated the tires, checked the breaks then cleaned and  re-lubed the chain. Once I was done it was almost midnight so I headed to bed. Well that's all for this chapter thanks for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment