Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Day 16: Malibu to Oxnard, Ca

Hey everyone!

Well before heading out I chatted with Robert he was staying in the hiker/biker sights he was from England taking a 3 month vacation to explore the Califorina coast on foot! He was just hiking up the coast he said he was gonna stay at this park for about a week and hike all the trails then he was gonna hike up the road about 10 miles Point Mugu state park to camp and explore that one! And he said he was wearing a backpack and dragging a Rolling suitcase! It's like me goin against the norm touring on a small wheeled folding bike but that sounds worse lol! So after swapping stories with him for a bit I got packed up and hit the road and I was right back on the buetiful coastline!
A few miles from here there was a big rock and also had a great panoramic view of the coast!
Well after that I kept on pedaling. I made my way to a the naval base in Ventura county just outside of Port Hueneme, Ca.  They had a display of various missiles and old jets so I stopped in and looked around.
I then made my way to Port Hueneme whare I stopped a a local fruit stand to pick up some fruit.
Then I made my way to Oxnard whare I decided to stop in at the local library to catch up on my blog my original plan was to go to Carpintera state beach but by the time I got done with emails and blogging it was almost dark guess I lost track of time so I looked at the map and saw there was McGrath state beach just about 15 min away so after seeing that I relaxed and explored Oxnard a little since it was already dark anyway.  I stopped at the grocery store to stock up on more food supplies and then made my way to the park. So I pulled in at about 8pm ready to get setteled then saw a sign that said the park was closed due to flooding!
So I parked the bike against the gate to think for a few minutes I was thinking nah it's probally not that bad they just closed it for liability so I walked around to gate to look in I was thinking since it was dark I would just stealth camp in the park but when I looked around it was acually really flooded! If you look closely you can see its very flooded!
The other thing I realized later was that this was low tide so if I had stealth camped here I may have been in water the next morning lesson learned don't assume the parks are always open check for closures online or call ahead lol! So of course I moved on the closest state park was Carpintera which was another 20 miles away plus being dark I would be biking slower so I figured I'd head north and look for alternatives on the way and not panic. Luckily for me there wasn't a lot of cars out so it wasn't too bad plus  there was a costal bike path I got to take off the road here's a shot while I was on the path heading thru Ventura,Ca 
So I kept making my way north into Ventura and while on the route I saw the Ventura RV park right off the path! So I stopped in and they did have tent sites and I told them I had a bike and was just looking for somthing low-cost but their cheapest tent site was 39$ for somone using a RV or a group of campers that can split it up I'm sure that's a good deal but not for a solo cyclist! At that price I could just stay in a cheap hotel lol! The hiker/biker sites I stay at are 5-12$/night so I moved on I kept making my way up the bike path and eventually got back on hwy 1.  After heading up the hwy for a few miles I saw RV sites on the coast so I pedaled for a little longer and found the enterance for Hobson Beach Park so I headed in this one was a little better at 34$/night so I figured I'd go check out the sites and I saw 3 guyes they were the only ones tent camping and were all sleeping in one tent so I decided to be bold and strike up a conversation with them and politely asked them if I could pay them some money and pitch my tent on their site since you were allowed 2 tent per site anyway and they said "sure bro!" I felt a sigh of relief over me when I heard that so I pitched my tent and they even offered me a beer! Then I chatted with them for a few found out they were surfers out catching some waves on a weekened trip and were heading back to long beach tommorw evening their names were Deg, Matt and Kevin these cool surfer dudes saved my ass from at least 10 more miles of dangerous Hwy night biking! Here's a pic of all us we took the next morning.
And here's a shot of the site it was cramped cause we had to stay within the small site but we made due!
Well after swapping stories I headed to bed. Well that's it for this page in the blog thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment