Monday, January 27, 2014

Day 12 Carlsbab to Los Alamitos, Ca

Hey everyone!

Well that morning I got up at about 730 and had some breakfast with Gary and he rode out with me part way then we parted ways at about 830. I had about 75 miles to bike today so it was good I got a early start! after that I headed up north I eventually made my way to Camp Pendelton a military reservation where I had to have them check my ID at a few checkpoints it was pretty funny to see the guys reaction when I told him I was biking back to Seattle, WA on the small wheeled Brompton. well after that I made my way back to the coast but misread the map it said there was a old road/bike path that runs under I-5 and the railroad tracks but there was several of them and I took the one way to early and it ended up being a dirt road but it was going the right way so I decided to venture on it!
I kept riding it for awhile and I eventually ran into this bridge which had parts of it missing mainly just the metal tiles on the surface so I walked it across also the sign is funny cause of the way its worded.
Not too long after that just when I was starting to wounder if I should turn around I saw a gate on the right that got me back on the road and a guy there told me to just head east under I-5 and there was a bike path on the left so I did and I was back on track whew lol! Once I got on the bike path it was nice no roads or cars at all and it went for a loong ways! here is a few shots!
Well after the amazing ride on the long bike path I was back on hwy 1 and I was staying on the coast and Didn't realize when I got to Dana Point, CA I went off the route but I was still on the coast.
Soon after I got to a museum in Dana Point and it the road ended and the only way out was cove road just a few min back but it was a mighty steep hill the lady at the museum said I should ride 5 miles back and head back to hwy 1 that way but I was feeling daring so I was about to climb the really steep hill with my 107 lb bike here a pic of the hill its the first right turn and if you look closely you can see the profile of the hill.
So I put it in my lowest gear and pounded my way up the hill there were a few workers on the road on the way up that cheered me on! well after that I stopped at the top for a few min for a break then found my way back to the Pacific Cost Hwy and had some more rolling terrain and before I knew it I got to Newport Beach about 25 miles away from Seal Beach. 
Once in town I found a subway and decided to take a lunch break for a bit.

After that I headed on further and I made my way to Seal Beach at this point it was starting to get dark I stopped took a few shots then mapped on the phone the address for the night.
So after mapping it out Warmshower host Mary was about 5 miles away in Los Alamitos so I pedaled my way over there were a few shoulder less roads but made it through in one piece. I got there about 630pm but they weren't off work yet so I headed over to the Wendys nearby for an hour I snacked a little and used the WiFi to do some email blogging Mary texted me telling me her husband Brian was home so I headed on over! They were both very welcoming they had a nice bed to stay in and they got me some beer out of the fridge and made me burgers she even offered to go out and buy me a sandwich! but I told her what they had was fine. So we chatted it up all night talking about our bike trips etc.  I stayed up and watched some TV with them for a bit then headed to bed. It was such a fun night getting to know them I'm really starting to like this Warmshowers lodging! :-) Well that is it for this entry hope you enjoyed it thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment