Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Grand Canyon Hike Final Day 4 Heading Back Home

Hey Everyone!

Well we got up a little late and got ready to go we had to get everything packed up and put away in our packs before heading out but the packs were a little lighter since our food was mostly gone which was nice so we got some of us together for one last shot together before heading out!
Left to Right: Me, Ryan, Sarah, Kevin, Stefan, Allen 

Alyssa, Aaron and Ryan F. headed back already and Jennifer decided to get a early start and had already left as well Sarah, Kevin and Allen were staying for a few more days

So after saying our farewells Me and Ryan were heading to Bright Angel Lodge via the River trail and Bright Angel Trail about 10 miles back and about 4500 ft in elevation gain. We headed out to the Silver Bridge at this point Ryan suggested we run across the bridge to warm up so we did it definitely helped get my blood flowing and I felt ready to trek on we made a few brief stops until we hit Indian Garden over half way there but only 1/3rd of the elevation so we decided to stop here and picnic for a bit Jennifer showed up there a little bit after us and also a good trick Ryan taught me was to kick your feet up and lay down so I tried this and it definitely seemed to help my legs a lot and this was the only place to stock up on water before between the campground and Bright angel Lodge.

 so after doing all that and Me and Ryan pressed Jennifer stayed behind to relax for a little bit longer so after this we started going up in elevation significantly faster so we kept our breaks brief cause of it getting colder there was 2 stopping areas 1.5 miles apart between Indian Garden and Bright Angel Lodge the first one we got to we layer down and kicked our feet up for about 10 min we had a kid there take a pic of us before heading out from the break stop.


So after that we trekked our way another 1.5 miles to the next break stop it was slowly getting more chilly as we headed up in elevation.  We got to the last break point before the lodge and we laid down and kicked our feet up again and did a little snacking again before heading out this time Ryan said for the last leg of the hike he usually strips down to his T-shirt and kicks up the pace up to this point we kept a pretty steady pace but I figure theres nothing wrong with finishing strong so off we went for the first bit I kept up with Ryan but then when we got to less then a mile away we started to see ice and Ryan being the more experienced hiker trekked on faster while I slowed up a bit and took it easy after a few min I got my groove going and started getting used to the ice and sped up the pace and had to maneuver my way around all the tourists as I got closer to the top they didn't exactly hike on the right side of the trail so I had to just charge up and everyone got out of my way once they say me coming well after a bit I made it up to Bright Angel Lodge! Ryan went to bring the car closer and I met him in the Lounge inside Bright Angel for some well deserved drinks and food we hiked the 10 miles in just around 5 hours! A little bit later Jennifer Showed up as well and we had a round of victory drinks to celebrate a successful hike in the grand canyon! 
This is by far one of the most amazing hikes I have ever done! I guess thats why they call it one of the seven wonders of the world! There was just so much beauty to look at the pictures as nice as they are don't do it justice you definitely have to come experience it for yourself! I hope this gives you some encouragement to visit it someday I promise you won't regret it even if you get sore or tired on the hike seeing all the beautiful scenery makes you forget all about it! Well that concludes the Grand Canyon Hike I hope you Enjoyed it! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment